Sunday, July 25, 2010

Crocheted Lace Bracelet

I have been experimenting with freeform crocheting with embroidery floss and found an application that I enjoy. It's lacy but not overly so, and the colors are very spring.


I started by doing random and open crochet stitches in an approximately rectangular shape. I pinned the piece to an ironing board so it would settle into a rectangle and ironed over it several times to hold the shape.

Then I laced a piece of nylon ribbon through it. I originally intended the ribbon to be a base to tack the crochet to, but I discovered that the bracelet was easier to tie and had more dimension if I gathered the crochet a little and used the ribbon ends as a tie. I singed the knotted ends in a candle to make sure they don't unravel (that's always so annoying...)


In the end, it's a lot of steps but not a particularly difficult project, and I like the effect and the fact that each one will be unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment