Monday, August 17, 2009

NY Gift Show II

I returned to the Javits Center today to check out the parts that hadn't been open on Saturday. I did another circuit of the downstairs handmade section and also took the shuttle over to Pier 94, which had some interesting home furnishings.

Some things that interested me this time:

Teresa Goodall - I especially liked a necklace with strings of leather hanging down from the beads. Recently I've been into the idea of tying fibers to strung necklaces to give them more form.

Flying Anvil - I love the way she uses everyday black stones in her jewelry. It reminds me of an artist I saw in Somerville who had a necklace with beads of rock and twisted metal, like the votive contents of a child's pocket made elegant.

Elements, Jill Schwartz - jewelry and accessories with an eclectic antique look. I especially like her rings.

Colleen Toland - The color combinations in her beaded accessories are really inspiring. I have no idea how she comes up with them, but they must be fun!

Tesoros Trading - more recycled objects, with a message of empowering third-world artisans. This recycled paper piece reminds me so much of my tape coasters! I wonder how it was made.

Acacia Creations - Ethically-produced, surprisingly soft-toned recycled paper beads. The images on the website didn't load for me, unfortunately.

Architects & Heroes - They make wonderful "pulley" lamps, which descend using pulleys and ropes when you pull them. I couldn't even figure out how the mechanism worked, but it was very clean and smooth. I was reminded very much of similar lamps we saw recently in a historic plantation house in North Carolina, where such technology was used to replenish the oil-burning light.

Groundwork - I especially liked a "sedum table", which had plantings surrounding four brick placemats. I wish I could find a picture to demonstrate it; it looked so wild and natural.


It was really interesting to see more paper jewelry. It's a really great thing that it's mostly being done to bring better lives to artisans in other countries, but I'm surprised that I've generally seen only one type of design. It's inspiring me to perfect my method, keep being creative and start promoting my pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment