Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Map as Art Exhibit




I visited New York City over the weekend and finally got to see "The Map as Art", an exhibit on art maps at the Christopher Henry gallery on Elizabeth Street. I believe it's only open until the 10th, but do see it if you can. I learned about it from Heidi Whitman, whom I met at her studio in the South End. She does what she calls "mind maps" or "brain terrain" and had a couple pieces in the show.

I was also inspired by the work of Karey Kessler. She incorporates more color and text into her little maps than I generally do, but with a similar inspiration and creative goal. I also appreciated that while she worked in a more abstract way, the labels and delineations on her maps told the viewer what they were. 


No comments:

Post a Comment