Sunday, February 21, 2010

TempleCon Steampunk Convention


The day after First Friday, I went to TempleCon in Warwick, RI, a steampunk-themed gaming convention. I don't really game at all, but I signed up to volunteer because I wanted to judge costumes. I didn't end up getting that responsibility, but I did see a lot of gorgeous things.

I also wanted to get a sense for the vendors there to see it would be a good venue for the things I've been posting at Valise. It definitely seemed like my Victorian-inspired jewelry and accessories would fit right in! I'll post more about individual stores when my collection of business cards shows up.

Saturday evening there was a steampunk-themed burlesque/bellydancing show. I took a lot of photos, but not many of them came out well. There was also a costume contest at the end, which allowed me to get a photo of this great character:
I hadn't thought about the brass-cyberpunk aspect of steampunk, but it does make sense.

Later that evening was a purple- and Mad Hatter-themed party. It was enchanting to be surrounded by fanciful costumes, although the pretense wore off a bit as the evening went on.




This gentleman had his iPhone on a chain instead of a pocketwatch:







The table after the party had wound down:

There was punch in teapots and guests drank it from teacups. 

In the morning before I left I had one last chance to document costumes:


It was a great weekend and I had a wonderful time volunteering. I wish that dressing up wasn't limited to that sort of event. But perhaps I just haven't found the right place for it. Wouldn't it be great, though, to see costumes like that more often?

No comments:

Post a Comment